Replace: 1 arrested, 1 detained following rolling gun battle alongside San Francisco waterfront

SAN FRANCISCO — Two people were in custody Monday after a gun battle erupted along the San Francisco Embarcadero waterfront early Sunday night that shot two people near Pier 39 and wounded four others.

Aaron Peskin, head of San Francisco’s District 3, which represents the Waterfront, North Beach and Chinatown areas, told KPIX that police told him that after the incident, which involved gunfire between moving cars, one person arrested and a second person arrested.

The first shooting was reported at around 6:48 p.m. on Beach and Stockton streets across from Pier 39. The second shooting occurred moments later on Embarcadero and Howard streets.

Officers found two people with apparent gunshot wounds who were taken to the hospital. Her current condition is currently unknown, SFPD said.

Raw video: Police are investigating related shootings on the San Francisco waterfront

Officials believe two vehicles may have been involved in the shooting.

A bullet-riddled black SUV with Nevada plates that crashed further south on the Embarcadero at Howard St. was the focus of the police investigation.

Investigating the SF Embarcadero shooting


A witness shared a video with KPIX showing a young girl on the ground and officers at the scene tending to her. She said she saw a fierce firefight between two cars and erratic driving before the SUV collided. A video of the scene showed how airbags were deployed in the crashed vehicle.

The police initially did not say how many people were injured in the second shooting. At least one person was injured by broken glass in the arm.

During a late night news briefing, San Francisco Police Chief Bill Scott gave the update, saying three people were injured by “mistaken shots” from broken glass at the second crime scene in Embarcadero and Howard. These injuries were not life-threatening.

Also, two young girls were hit by one of the cars during the chase and firefight. One of them, a 10-year-old, was taken to hospital but her injuries were not life-threatening. The second, a 16-year-old girl, was unharmed.

Scott also confirmed that one of the two shooting victims who were injured in the first exchange of fire suffered non-life-threatening injuries and the second was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries.

Police reached the first scene within four minutes of receiving reports of gunfire. Scott said the shooting was a deliberate incident and not an accident.

Authorities are asking anyone with information or cellphone video of the shooting to contact police while the investigation continues.

Continue reading

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button