NS. GEORGE – Several fire engines and ladder trucks lined a quiet residential street south of St. George Golf Club early Wednesday morning after a resident called 911 and reported smoke coming from the roof area.
Firefighters working in the garage area search for fire extinguishers after a building fire reported on South Bloomington Hills Drive, St. George, Utah, September 29, 2021 | Photo by Cody Blowers, St. George News
Several locomotives arrived at the residence on South Bloomington Hills Drive just before 6:30 a.m. and confirmed the smoke was coming from the roof.
St. George Fire Chief Robert Stoker said the fire appeared to have started in the attic above a laundry room right next to the garage and then spread to a series of trusses just above the garage. The family was able to safely evacuate the house and waited outside for the fire department to arrive.
Firefighters broke through the ceiling where they found active flames that had completely burned several eaves. They extinguished the fire shortly after their arrival and began overhauling the area looking for burning embers, including pulling material from the burned area to extinguish any smoldering areas and prevent reignition that could cause a secondary fire.
Stoker went on to tell St. George News that there was recent work being done in the attic that housed the HVAC system, an area that appeared to be the starting point for the fire that continued to smolder for some time before it spreading to other supporting strands.
“It looked like some air conditioning had been done in the attic,” said Stoker.
Although the fire was reported at 6:30 a.m., fire investigators have reason to believe that the fire did indeed start much earlier based on the significant damage to a number of the trusses that burned through, a process that is likely to be sizable Amount of time would have taken time.
Fortunately, Stoker said, the homeowner noticed scorching discoloration on several walls inside the house and then smelled smoke when the power went out 911.
It was lucky the homeowner noticed the signs and checked outside, he said, as the roof can hold the fire, lowering heat and smoke to the lower floors while keeping the active flames confined to the attic where they last for longer Time can burn time before you break through the inside of the structure.
In addition to the structural damage caused by the burned-out roof trusses, the house also suffered some smoke damage as well as the damage caused by the fire fighters penetrating the burning flames in the attic.
Stoker said residents will stay with their family members until repairs can be made. The houses on both sides of the affected apartment were also evacuated as a precaution; however, the adjacent houses remained undamaged and no injuries were reported.
The St. George Fire Department, St. George Police Department, Gold Cross Ambulance and Dominion Energy responded to the scene. This report is based on statements from the police, emergency services or other emergency services and may not contain the full scope of the results.
Copyright St. George News, SaintGeorgeUtah.com LLC, 2021, all rights reserved.
Cody Blowers grew up in South San Francisco, California. A 2013 graduate of Colorado Technical University, Cody earned her bachelor’s degree in criminal justice with a minor in paralegal studies. In the course of her studies, she discovered that writing is her real passion and is committed to credible, integrated reporting. Cody joined St. George News in 2015, and when she’s not busy chasing the news, she can usually be chased after her young granddaughter, Kali.